Isfahan City, a Living Museum of Traditional Culture!
Isfahan city is classified as top tourist destinations for good reasons. Persian gardens tree-lined boulevards and important Iranian Islamic buildings give Esfahan a visual appeal unmatched by any other cities in Iran. Isfahan history can be found in the depths of Isfahan architecture. Isfahan tourism draws many tourists from all over the world who can see the magic of Iranian architecture of Esfahan. Isfahan tourist information is given at the end.
#1 Isfahan General Informations
- Esfahan city is the third wide city of Iran and the third populous city in Iran after Tehran and Mashhad. Isfahan population was stimulated to be 1,756,126 people in 2011. Isfahan Iran includes Persian language people with an accent of Esfahani. Besides Esfahani, Jews and Armenians dialects are also spoken in Isfahan Iran.
Isfahan City Religion
- Most of the people in Isfahan Iran are Shia, Muslims. The minority Armenian, Jews, Christians; and Zoroastrians also reside in Isfahan city.
- Isfahan city is considered as Iran’s tourism hub because it houses special Isfahan tourist attractions; thus, Isfahan tourism has a huge impact on its economy. The improvements of Isfahan tourism has led to the emergence of handicrafts industry such as marquetry, enamel work, carpet weaving, painting, gilding, tile, and ceramics etc.
- Industries have also played a major role in a good economy including iron foundry, steel industry, military industries, food industries, plastic products, spinning and knitting factories, etc.
- Agriculture and animal husbandry at suburbs of Isfahan city Iran has a role in its economy.
- In Isfahan culture history people, of course have their own traditions such as the tradition that they do at their weddings.
- They also have a mourning tradition called Saqa Khani which be held in a special Islamic month(Muharram).
#2 What is Esfahan Famous for?
Bridges: Clearly, one of the main attractions of this city is the historical bridges of Isfahan. The bridges on the Zayandeh Roud river run west to the east, including ancient bridges and new bridges.
Monuments: and its must-see places are the reasons that attract many people every year. It contains Naqsh-e Jahan square, Ali Qapou, Si o Se Pol, Chehel Sotoun, etc.
Isfahan architecture: in Esfahan, you see odd but enjoyable and fabulous architectures. Just ask for information about it from your tour guide and you will understand.
Iranian Proverb: there’s a proverb among Iranian; meaning “Esfahan is half of the world’. It means Esfahan is so spectacular and beautiful that it is equal to the beauty of half the world.
#3 Delicious experiences of Isfahan foods:
Beryani: one of the most delicious meals that can be found in almost every Esfahan restaurant.
Goushe Loubyia: (Meat and beans) is another original Esfahani meal.
Khoresh Mast: another traditional delicious dish of the city of Esfahan
#4 What can I buy as a souvenir?
Isfahan special sweets: Gaz and Poulaki are the most famous Isfahan souvenirs.
Handicrafts: you can buy handicrafts as something to remember Isfahan Iran as marquetry, enamel work, carpet weaving, painting, gilding, calico.
**Tips: in Naqsh-e Jahan Square of Esfahan you can find all of them or even more! Naqsh-e Jahan square also has some valuable monuments. It’s killing two birds with one stone!
Also Read: Jameh Mosque of Isfahan ; the Grand Congregational Mosque
Also Read: Menar Jonban Isfahan; an engineering mind-boggling monument
Also Read: Vank Cathedral Isfahan; Sistine Chapel of Iran
Also Read: Chehel Sotoun Palace
Also Read: Naghsh-e Jahan square in Isfahan
#6 Facts about Isfahan city:
1. Esfahan ranks the second in attracting tourists.
2. In 2006, Isfahan Iran was chosen as the cultural capital of the Islamic world.
3. Esfahan is industrial capital of Iran after Tehran.
4. UNESCO has registered six monuments of Isfahan Iran.
5. One of the reasons for Isfahan Iran to come into existence and develop is the presence of Zayandehrood (the largest river of the Iranian plateau)
6. Isfahan meaning: Isfahan city Iran is mentioned by different names through history. Yezdegerd I, the fifth king of the Sassanid dynasty, constructed a garrison in Isfahan Iran to educate forces. The name Espahan (Isfahan meaning the position of the army) was given to Esfahan city at Sasanid period. By the time Muslim Arabs conquered Isfahan, due to the lack of the letter “p” in Arabs’ literature, the name Espahan was replaced by Esfahan
#7 What is the best season to travel to Isfahan Iran?
Don’t forget to take your moisturizer with you! Because the dominant climate of Isfahan Iran is temperate and very dry.
Spring: In the first two months of the spring season is decent.
Summer: Esfahan has hot and dry summers; maybe not the best choice to travel to.
Fall: it’s a decent season but as we get closer to the end of the season it gets colder.
Winter: it rains and sometimes it starts to snow. Take all your warm clothes.
#8 What are the most important events in Isfahan history?
1. At the time of Achaemenid dynasty in Isfahan history, Isfahan city counted as one of the significant cities and even was called as “center of Iran” because the junction of the main roads and royal residences were situated in Isfahan Iran.
2. Isfahan culture history shows us, Isfahan city was selected as the capital at various dynasties in Isfahan history even in the Islamic period. Improvements resumed at Daylamite dynasty and the educated came to Isfahan city. Isfahan culture history may be highlighted at this period.
3. Isfahan culture history had many ups and downs but the peak of glory in Isfahan history emerged at the period of Malik Shah I, the sultan of Seljuk empire.
4. Esfahan was taken as capital at Safavid dynasty during the Islamic period. The significant events of Isfahan Safavid period include the construction of the mosque, water reservoir, and caravanserai, the creation of complete communication and irrigation networks, and strengthening agricultural infrastructure.
#9 What’s interesting about Isfahan Architecture?
Isfahan architecture belongs to different eras of history; for instance, Isfahan Islamic architecture belongs to the period of after Islam. the monuments of two Seljuk dynasty and Safavid Isfahan architecture are especially prominent.
Isfahan architecture of Mosques
Isfahan architecture of Mosques is a subgroup of Isfahan Islamic architecture. The beautiful tile of Esfahan mosques and its arabesque(a form of artistic decoration) presence give a special impression to the mosque.
Isfahan architecture of Bridges
Isfahan history of the Si o Se Pol bridge that has been retained from the Safavid era is a masterpiece of Iranian architecture. For over 400 years, this bridge has exhibited its beauties.
Isfahan architecture of monuments
What’s important in Isfahan architecture of the monuments is a relationship that has emerged between different spaces and parts. This connection has made mansions, in the same diversity and plurality of space, enjoy considerable unity and decoration.
#10 How can I get to Isfahan Iran?
Isfahan Airport : Isfahan airport known as Shahid Beheshti airport is located at the northeast side of Isfahan Iran. Isfahan tourist offices provide you the information about Isfahan flights or you could look it up online.
Tell: +98 31-35275050 Email: Isfahan.email@example.com
Isfahan Train Station: Isfahan city has a station in Iran’s rail line, which is located at Azadi square.
Isfahan City Bus Terminal: Zayandehrood bus terminal provides services for the western cities of Esfahan province and Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province and is located at Mirza Kouchak Khan Boulevard. Many tourists are transferred daily through this terminal to the other parts of Iran and the terminal is the most crowded Esfahan bus terminal.
Tell: +98 13 30 3789 529
How To Get Around in Isfahan Iran?
To get around the city, both taxis and buses are available. Bus rapid transits are also in operation. Esfahan subway (metro) includes 5 lines.
Busses leave from Esfahan bus terminal near Chehel Sotoun palace and the other one on Sheikh Bahaei Street. Elsewhere in town, you will be pointed to the correct conveyance at a bus station.
Private taxis or taxis outside the main tourist sites are waiting to get tourists to their destinations. You can find taxis lead from most of Isfahan landmarks and squares to outlying destinations.
#11 Where can I get Isfahan Tourist Information?
Isfahan tourist information center gives you all you need about Isfahan tourism. Isfahan tourist office will support you with maps and will answer your question about tourism.
Here is a useful website; you can get some answers to your question.
Let’s give each other advice!
If you’ve ever been in Isfahan Iran, give your friends advice by telling them where the should visit and which places they shouldn’t. give your advice and thoughts on monuments and sightseeing of Esfahan. Share your thoughts on the comment section.